Home Style Cabbage Rolls; a delicious and traditional family recipe!
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Chopped Sweet Onion
- 1/2 Cup Raisins (golden or black)
- 2 Pounds Lean Ground Beef (ground chicken or turkey can be substituted)
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Long Grain Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano, divided
- 16 Large Cabbage Leaves
- 1 29 Oz. Can Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/8 Cup Lemon Juice
<p>Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large stockpot, steam cabbage leaves in about 2″ of water over medium high heat until limp, about 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. With a sharp knife, cut out heavy center vein of leaves.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef with chopped onion; add eggs, Worcestershire sauce, cooked rice, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Mix well by hand. Add raisins and combine.
Place about 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each leaf. Fold in sides and roll ends over meat.
Place stuffed cabbage rolls in a large (I use a 12″ x 16″ x 2″ pan for 16 rolls) but if you are cutting the recipe in half, use a 9″ x 12″ x 2″ baking dish.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice. Whisk together and pour evenly over the cabbage rolls. Sprinkle with remainder of the dried oregano.
Cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Serve with whipped potatoes and a crisp green salad.</p>